Zane White is a multimedia artist from Albuquerque, New Mexico. His work currently focuses on political and philosophical issues relating to the land and landscape of the Southwestern United States. His paintings reference the western landscape tradition, but feature elements of surrealism combined with geometric patterns, collage, and abstract mark making. This visual synthesis is meant to reflect the deep layers of moods and meanings within the paintings themselves. His work relies on intentional references to history, mythology, and culture through the use of embedded symbolism. These seemingly incoherent juxtapositions form a dream like narrative that, upon closer inspection, reveals deeper truths about the human experience.
He Graduated Summa Cum Laude with a BFA from UNM in 2010 and continued his education for 4 subsequent semesters at Santa Fe Community College. His work has been featured in many local, regional, national, and international Juried shows and competitions. He works in a diverse range of media including traditional oil painting, ceramics, installations, photography, music, and poetry. He is a founding member of the Albuquerque based artist collective “You’re On TV” that organizes group exhibits and creates multimedia installations out of found objects and recycled materials. He is currently pursuing an MFA in Painting at Colorado State University in Fort Collins, Colorado. In addition to his work in the visual arts, he is a professional educator with 3 years experience teaching art at the high school level, and is currently teaching college classes in the painting department at CSU.
For Inquiries please contact me using the button below! I welcome questions from other artists or collectors and will reply within a couple days.
I use layers in my work to illustrate the structure of information, meaning, and understanding present in a given topic. My work currently examines dire socio- political issues from an allegorical point of view, portraying contemporary social events as repeating renditions in a theater of universal symbolic paradigms. I attempt to create paintings that seem to exist beyond measurable time and space. Paintings that capture a universe that is both dreamlike and absolute. The images and objects dreamlike. The symbolic meaning and context urgent and undeniable. This dualistic synthesis is meant to evoke a resolution, or realization, that reveals fundamental essences of existence.
My current work represents the culmination of past and current research examining the changing landscape and ecology of the Southwest resulting from increasing land development, oil extraction, and large scale mining operations. The works are intended to challenge common cultural relationships with the land through the construction of imaginary narratives that reveal potential consequences of current actions within the broader society. The dreamlike quality of the images and objects elicit a sense of suspended disbelief that challenges our perceptions of reality and brings attention to the fleeting nature of existence.
2018- MFA Candidate in Painting. Colorado State University
2010- BFA in Ceramics and Painting from the University of New Mexico
2010-2012 continued education credits/work experience at Santa Fe Community College Ceramics department.
2016- Alternative Teacher License from Central New Mexico Community College
· 2019: After the Gold Rush Directions Gallery. Colorado State University. Fort Collins, Colorado. June 1-July 10.
o Reconciliation. Mini Gallery. Colorado State University. Fort Collins, Colorado May 6-10.
· 2018: “After The Gold Rush” Morgan Library. Colorado State University. Fort Collins, Colorado. September -11- November 30
· 2015: “Rubble Without a Cause”. Installation for 24 Hrs of Art. Albuquerque Civic Plaza Albuquerque, NM 87106 September 16-18
· 2014: “Cerro Strata”. Summerfest 2014. Installation on site in Nob hill and Westside, Albuquerque, NM. Comissioned by CABQ Public Art Program.
· 2011: Immaculate Wilderness: New Works By Zane White. Winning Coffee Co. 111 Harvard dr. Se Albuquerque, NM 87106 July 1-31
· 2010: Gaia: The Consecration of Earth. BFA Honors Thesis Exhibition. John Sommers Gallery. UNM Fine Arts building 1 University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, Nm 87131-001 Nov 1-20
· 2008: UNM Valencia Student show: New works By Zane White. Valencia Showroom Los Lunas, NM May 1-25
o Graduate Student Showcase. Directions Gallery. Colorado State University Department of Art and Art History. Fort Collins, Colorado. Oct 1-30
o The Art of Protest. IMAGO Gallery. 36 Market Street. Warren, RI November 2 – December 3.
o Rubble Without A Cause. SOMOS Festival Downtown Albuquerque Sept. 24 2017. Commissioned by Harwood Art Center of Escuela del Sol Montessori 1114 Seventh Street NWAlbuquerque, NM 87102 (505) 242-6367
o Politico. Downtown Contemporary Gallery. 105 4th St. SW Albuquerque, NM. April 7- May 20
o New Imagists In The Southwest. Center For Contemporary Arts Santa Fe. 1050 Old Pecos Trail, Santa Fe, New Mexico. Sept 23- Nov 27
o Footprints in Dreams. A You’re On TV Production. Downtown Contemporary Gallery. 105 4th St. SW Albuquerque, NM. Sept 23- Oct 20
o Surreal Experimentalism. O’Neill’s. 3301 Juan Tabo Blvd NW Albuquerque, NM. March 1-29
· 2015: Rubble Without a Cause. Installation for 24 Hrs of Art. Albuquerque Civic Plaza Albuquerque, NM 87106 September 16-18
o Political Commentary. Linus Gallery 545 S Raymond Ave, Pasadena, CA 90755. July 3-29
o You’re on Tv Presents: Pieces and Pigment. Satellite Coffee. 3513 Central Ave NE Albuquerque, NM 87106 March 6-30.
o All Over the Map: The Ongoing Dialogue of Public Art. Albuquerque Museum of Art. 2000 Mountain Rd NW, Albuquerque, NM 87104. January – April.
o E Unibus Pluram: A You’re on TV Production. Harwood Art Center of Escuela del Sol Montessori 1114 Seventh Street NWAlbuquerque, NM 87102 (505) 242-6367 January 6- 29th.
· 2014: “Cerro Strata” Summerfest 2014. Temporal Installation on site in Nob hill, Albuquerque, NM. Commissioned by CABQ Public Art Program.
o You’re On TV Presents: Analog. 5G Gallery. Factory on 5th Art Space . 1715 5th st NW, Albuquerque, NM April 4-27th
o The Peoples Art Show.5Gallery. Factory on 5th. 1715 5th st NW, Albuquerque, NM Mar 7-22
· 2013: New Works By Zane White, Casey Pendergast, Evan Speegle, and Barbra King. The Old Schoolhouse Gallery 12504 Highway N.14 San Antonio, NM. Oct 11-31
o You’re on TV Presents: The Glass Curtain. The Boro Gallery. 4627 B Corrales rd. Corrales, NM. Dec 14- Jan 10
o Ground Effect: Paintings By Zane, Chris, and Roy. KiMo Theater Gallery. 423 Central Ave NW Albuquerque, NM 87102. Gallery Curator: Augustine Romero. July 25- Sept. 29
o You’re On TV Premiers. Tech Love Art Space. 3901 Central Ave NE, Albuquerque, NM 87108 June 1-30
o Our Earth. The second annual exhibition. Flow Art Space. 308 Prince Street, Suite 218 St Paul, MN 55101 April 17 - May 4
o The Peoples Art Show.5Gallery. Factory on 5th. 1715 5th st NW, Albuquerque, NM Mar 8-23
· 2012: Contemporary Clay Fair. Santa Fe Women’s Club. 1616 Old Pecos Trail, Santa Fe, NM 87505. Nov 17-18
o NMPCA Celebration of Clay. Ghost Ranch Museum. Ghost Ranch Conference Center Abiquiu, New Mexico. September 5 - October 2, 2012 Opening Reception, September 7, 2-4:30 pm
o Confluence: Works By Zane White and Jessica Chao. Griffin and Mandeville Purveyors of Contemporary Art. 8838 Comanche rd Ne. Suite A 106. Albuquerque, NM 87110. 505-410-6992 Aug 19- September 10
o The Peoples Art Show. 5Gallery. Factory on 5th. 1715 5th st NW, Albuquerque, NM Mar 1-24
o The Sixteenth Square. 5G Gallery. Factory on 5th. 1715 5th st NW, Albuquerque, NM February 1-25
· 2011-2012: I Have The Right. Picture Cultural Art, California State University Dominguez Hills 1000 E. Victoria, Carson California 90747 October 21- June 2012
· 2011:From the Ground Up XXV.Las Cruces Museum of Art. 491 North Main Street Las Cruces, NM 88001 Aug 19- October 15
o Santa Fe Community College Student and Faculty Art. Santa Fe Community College Visual Arts Gallery June 1- Aug 15
o On Being Human: Love, Faith, Shame and Hope. Picture Cultural Art, California State University Dominguez Hills 1000 E. Victoria, Carson California 90747 May 5- October 5
o The First Annual Peoples Art Show. 5G Gallery . Factory on 5th. 1715 5th st NW, Albuquerque, NM Mar 1-24
· 2010: Transitions: Unm Arita Porcelain show. Weyrich Gallery, 2935 d Louisiana Ne Albuquerque, NM Nov 1-28
· 2009: Beneath The Surface: UNM Arita Porcelain Student Show. Weyrich Gallery, 2935 d Louisiana Ne Albuquerque, NM Nov 1-28
o NMPCA Celebration of Clay. Arts Alliance Gallery Albuquerque, NM Jun 1-28
· 2008: UNM Painting Student Exhibition. John Sommers Gallery UNM Albuquerque, Nm Dec 1-10
o Valley Visions: UNM Valencia campus student show and publication. Valencia showroom Los Lunas, NM Apr 1-25
PRESS AND PUBLICATIONS:
· Studio Visit Magazine. Vol. 43 2018. The Open Studios Press. Curated by Francine Weiss PhD, Senior Curator, Newport Art Museum, Newport, RI
· I Have The Right. Picture Cultural Art, California State University Dominguez Hills 1000 E. Victoria, Carson California 90747 October 21- June 2012
· On Being Human: Love, Faith, Shame and Hope. Picture Cultural Art, California State University Dominguez Hills 1000 E. Victoria, Carson California 90747 May 5- October 5
· ‘New Perspectives’. Albuquerque Journal Arts section. March 16, 2016 Adrian Gomez. Arts Editor.
· ‘You’re On TV at the Harwood Art Center’ Nm Style Show KASA 2. Chad Brummett Published: January 12, 2015, 11:38 am
· ‘You’re On TV’ examines the dichotomy of watching versus experiencing’ Kathaleen Roberts / Journal Staff Writer PUBLISHED: Sunday, January 25, 2015 at 12:05 am
AWARDS AND HONORS:
· 2010- UNM CFA Departmental Scholarship
· 2009- UNM CFA Departmental Scholarship
· 2017- Teacher of the Month. Los Lunas High School
· 2010- Summa Cum Laude Departmental Honors, Magna Cum Laude University Honors- Graduation 2010 UNM
· 2005-2009 UNM deans List
· 2008- 2nd place award in Valley Visions publication and group show
· 2017 “Rubble Without A Cause” SOMOS Festival Downtown Albuquerque Sept. 24 2017. Commissioned by Harwood Art Center of Escuela del Sol Montessori
· 2015 “Rubble Without a Cause” By Humbird NM for 24hrs of Art at Civic Plaza
· 2014 “Cerro Strata” By City of Albuquerque
· 2014 “Vacation Home” By John and Metta Gustaffuson